What is car camping vs. backpacking?
Car camping means you park your vehicle at an established campground, so you don’t need to worry too much about bringing extra comforts. Backpacking means you have to carry all of your gear wherever you go, so what you bring becomes the ultimate concern. For both types of trips, we will provide specific packing lists and guide your preparations.
What if I’ve never gone camping or backpacking?
Shoestring Adventures brings together people with all levels of experience in California’s most treasured parks. We empower you with the skills you need to become more confident planning your own adventures, including how to start a campfire, pack a backpack, prepare food, read a map, minimize your impact on the environment, and more.
How old/young do I need to be to go on a Shoestring Adventure?
Most of our participants are between 25 and 60, but we’ve had participants between the ages of 20 and 65 join our adventures. Our trips are appropriate for participants who are 18+.
What if I don’t know anyone going on the trip?
We offer a community for anyone who wants to experience the outdoors. If you don’t come with friends, you will definitely leave with some!
How do I prepare for the trip?
After you register, you will receive a Welcome Kit through email, which includes introductions to your fellow campers, a detailed packing list, itinerary, weather forecast and everything else you need to know to prepare for our trip. We are available to answers all questions and guide first-time campers every step of the way.
What should I bring/not bring to the event?
Please do not bring illicit drugs or firearms. If you are caught with drugs or firearms, you will be asked to leave immediately. No refunds for violations.
What should I pack?
You are responsible for bringing your own camping gear (i.e. tent, sleeping bag, etc). Check out our Car Camping Checklist, Backpacking Checklist, and Gear Guide for recommendations. If this is your first camping trip and/or you need additional gear, we’ve got you covered! Convenient gear rentals are available through Shoestring Adventures, as well as our local partner Adventure 16.
What is included in pricing?
- Wilderness First Responder/CPR Certified Trip Leader
- Gourmet camp meals
- Campground reservations and/or wilderness permits
- Group photographer to document the trip, so you can stay in the moment, plus edited images 3 weeks after your trip ends
- Shoestring Adventures is an authorized outfitter service permit holder in state and national parks where we host our trips. A portion of your ticket goes toward protecting and preserving our parks for future generations.
What is not included in pricing?
- Transportation is not included. We will help facilitate carpools for the group after you register.
- Alcoholic beverages
- Travel insurance
- Tips for trip leader and photographer
What is the cancellation policy?
Should you decide to cancel your trip for any reason, Shoestring Adventures is able to offer refunds at the following rates:
- 21+ days prior to trip departure date: 50% of trip cost refunded.
- 14-20 days prior to trip departure date: 25% of trip cost refunded.
- 0-13 days prior to trip departure: No refunds.
Am I in good hands?
Yes! We take extra measures to ensure your safety and maximum level of fun. All Shoestring Adventures trip leaders hold current Wilderness First Responder/CPR, Leave No Trace and Food Handling certifications. In remote destinations, we carry a DeLorme inReach Explorer Satellite Messenger to contact authorities in case of emergency.
Where can I contact the organizer with my questions?
We’re here to help! If you do not find the answer you are looking for or have more questions, please contact: email@example.com