24 (Friday) 12:00 am - 26 (Sunday) 11:59 pm PST
Yosemite National Park
Join us for a backpacking adventure to Glen Aulin in Yosemite National Park, featuring a stunning display of waterfalls! From Tuolumne Meadows, we’ll hike along the Tuolumne
Join us for a backpacking adventure to Glen Aulin in Yosemite National Park, featuring a stunning display of waterfalls!
From Tuolumne Meadows, we’ll hike along the Tuolumne River to Glen Aulin Backpackers Camp, feeling the mist of Tuolumne Falls on our faces as we pass by. Our campground is set beside a pool under White Cascade. During our stay, we’ll enjoy a day hike to California, Le Conte and Waterwheel Falls. On our final day, we’ll retrace our steps back to Tuolumne Meadows and enjoy a celebratory lunch at our favorite local restaurant Whoa Nellie Deli.
For a sneak peek, check out this trip overview from our friend Josh at California Through My Lens.
Join our supportive community of Shoestring Warriors and gain confidence in your backpacking skills! Learn from our experienced guides how to pack your bag, cook in the backcountry, Leave No Trace, and hike safely in bear country.
Special thanks to our friend Josh McNair of California Through My Lens for permission to use his photos.
Highlights For This Adventure
- Enjoy the Yosemite waterworks show, including Tuolumne, White Cascade, California, Le Conte and Waterwheel Falls
- Explore the Yosemite High Country and the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne
- Pitch your tent beside a waterfall and stargaze far away from city lights
Included With Every Shoestring Adventure
- Experienced Wilderness First Responder/CPR Certified trip leaders
- A supportive community of Shoestring Warriors
- Gourmet backcountry meals
- Group photographer to document the trip, so you can stay in the moment
- Edited photos 3 weeks after your trip ends
- Shoestring Warrior Adventure Kit with curated souvenirs
- Permits and reservations
Shoestring Adventures operates with special use permits. A portion of your ticket goes toward protecting and preserving this park for future generations.
- Day 1: In the morning, meet in Yosemite National Park to divide food and gear. Before entering the backcountry, your trip leader will demonstrate how to properly pack a backpack and review Leave No Trace principles. Today you will backpack 5.2-miles and climb 800-feet to Glen Aulin High Sierra Backpacker’s Camp. After .5-mile, we’ll pass Soda Spring, a naturally carbonated spring bubbling up rusty water. After 3.5-miles we’ll cross over the Tuolomne River and pass close enough to Tuolomne Falls to feel the spray. At 5.2-miles, we’ll arrive at the White Cascade in front of Glen Aulin High Sierra Camp, where we’ll stay for 2 nights.
- Day 2: After breakfast, we’ll pack a daypack and hike to Waterwheel Falls, 2.7-miles and 1,400 feet down the river gorge from the High Sierra Camp. We’ll turn back the way we came, climbing the steep ascent back to camp, completing our day hike at 5.4-miles round trip.
- Day 3: On our final day in Yosemite, we’ll hike out 5.2-miles and meet up for a victory lunch at a local restaurant before returning home.
Total: Approx. 15.8 miles
Schedule subject to change due to weather, camper ability/injury, natural events or park restrictions. Shoestring Warriors should be in good physical shape, but we will hike at an easy pace and take breaks as needed.
Trip Level: Moderately Strenuous
This adventure requires hikers to be physically fit.
- Activity: 4-6 hours most days
- Distances: Hike up to 10 miles most days
- Trail Condition: rolling or mountainous terrain with some steep ascents/descents and uneven trails
- Elevation change: up to 3,000 ft/day
- Altitude: up to 10,000 ft
- Backpack Weight: 30-40 pounds
Check out our upcoming schedule of community hikes to train with us! If you’re not sure if this trip is right for you, please feel free to contact email@example.com to discuss.
Meet Our Team
Trip leader Canyon Grove graduated from San Diego State University with an degree in Recreation Tourism Management. With over half a decade spent as a head coach for high school lacrosse, he has a strong belief in teamwork when it comes to groups in the outdoors. He loves leading for Shoestring, not only for the personal opportunities to travel, but the opportunity to foster a welcoming community, enjoy delicious food, and make new friends in the great outdoors! He is a certified Wilderness First Responder and avid outdoor adventurer. He lives in Ocean Beach, San Diego. If he isn’t surfing, climbing, or backpacking, he’s working as a cellar person at a micro brewery and a guide for beer tours.
Triptographer Amanda Proudfit is a freelance photographer of all sorts of things, who just moved from LBC to Colorado with her husband and dog. She grew up in the mountains of Colorado and has a deep appreciation for the outdoors and adventures. LEARN MORE
First Time Shoestring Warrior?
Before your trip, you will receive a Welcome Kit with a customized package list, introductions to your fellow campers, weather forecast and everything else you need to know to prepare.
Provided by Shoestring Adventures
- group first aid kit
- group cooking gear
- stoves and fuel
- group bathroom trowel
Required Gear (provided at no additional cost if you don’t have your own)
- backpack (60 liters or more) with rain cover
- sleeping bag
- sleeping pad
- headlamp and spare batteries
- tents (2 and 3-person tents will be shared with 1-2 other campers)
- bear canister
- day pack for day hike
- camp shoes
- insulating layer
- rain shell
- hiking pants or shorts
- hiking shirt
- hiking boots or shoes (broken in)
- hiking socks
- long underwear/pajamas
Required Personal Items
- backpacking cup, bowl, utensils
- ID & health insurance card
- water bladder or bottles with minimum 3L capacity
- SPF chapstick and sunblock
- unscented baby wipes
- small towel
- comb/hair band
- bug repellant
- hand sanitizer
- prescription medications
- personal bathroom kit: toilet paper, ziplock bags, personal wipes, hand sanitizer
- camera and accessories
- trekking poles (highly recommended for balance and to help reduce strain on knees)
- small pillow
- small multi-tool
- camp chair
Transportation to Yosemite National Park is not included. While you are responsible for getting to and from Shoestring Adventures locations, we will help coordinate carpools for Shoestring Warriors leaving from Los Angeles. Passengers are expected to contribute to their driver for gas and wear & tear.
Traveling from out of town? San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose and Reno/Tahoe International Airports are approximately 5 hours drive to Yosemite Valley. Click here for a complete list of airports. You will need to rent a car to get from the airport to the park.
Typical summer climate in Yosemite Valley is warm to hot, with occasional rain (usually as afternoon thundershowers, especially at the higher elevations) with average daytime temperatures in the 80’s and nighttime temperatures in the 50’s.
Health & Safety
Supporting the health and safety of participants is among our top priorities. All Shoestring Adventures trip leaders hold Wilderness First Responder/CPR, Leave No Trace and Food Handling certifications. In remote destinations, we carry a DeLorme inReach Explorer Satellite Messenger to contact authorities in case of emergency.
We minimize risk by keeping groups together while hiking, encouraging everyone to drink water and apply sunscreen, and making sure we’re prepared with gear appropriate to weather and our activities.
- Transportation is not included.
- Alcoholic beverages
- Tips for trip leader and photographer
- Meal at local restaurant
- $35 park entrance fee
Registration and Payment
We don’t want finances to be a barrier to the outdoors. To request a custom payment plan, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To protect your investment, we recommend that you purchase travel insurance.
Please read our FAQ for more information and our cancellation policy.
- Member Pre-sale: $395
- Early Bird: $440 (Before 7/27)
- Regular: $485 (After 7/27)
Ticket Section Title
Tickets are not available for sale any more for this event!