september 1 (Saturday) - 3 (Monday) PST
Sequoia National Park
Join us for a Labor Day Getaway in Sequoia National Park! Sequoia National Park, located in the southern Sierra Nevadas of California, is home to the largest trees in the world.
Join us for a Labor Day Getaway in Sequoia National Park!
Sequoia National Park, located in the southern Sierra Nevadas of California, is home to the largest trees in the world. From above the canopy are the most breath-taking views you can imagine, overlooking the redwood groves and granite cliffs.
Hike among the giants to cascading waterfalls, glacial valleys and sweeping overlooks with new friends. Explore the underground world of Sequoia and Kings Canyon on a naturalist-led tour of Crystal Cave. Our trip would not be complete without exploring park favorites, including Moro Rock, Giant Forest Museum. Before returning to the work week, we’ll salute General Sherman, the world’s largest tree by volume.
Learn from our experienced guides how to camp like a pro, cook a delicious meal outdoors, hike safely in bear country and minimize your impact on the environment. Connect with like-minded people in the outdoors, and make your 3-day weekend count!
Highlights For This Adventure
- Explore park highlights, including Moro Rock, Giant Forest, General Sherman Tree
- Camp on the Marble Fork of the Kaweah River
- Experience the underground world of Sequoia and Kings Canyon on a naturalist-led tour of Crystal Cave
- Salute General Sherman, the world’s largest tree by volume
Included With Every Shoestring Adventure
- Learn from our Wilderness First Responder/CPR certified trip leaders, no matter your level of experience
- Connect with our community of like-minded people through Meetups and happy hours
- Join our free Ambassador-led group hikes to train for your adventure
- Borrow gear at no cost if you don’t have your own
- Enjoy gourmet camp meals—everything tastes better outdoors
- Get professional photos to remember your adventure from our Triptographers
- Get your Shoestring Warrior Adventure Kit with curated souvenirs
- Leave the planning to us—permits, tour tickets and campground reservations included
Shoestring Adventures operates with special use permits. A portion of your ticket goes toward protecting and preserving this park for future generations.
- Day 1: Meet at Lodgepole Campground at noon and set up camp. After orientation and lunch, hike along the Marble Fork of the Kaweah River to 1,200-ft Tokopah Falls (3.8-mi).
- Day 2: After breakfast, hike the Little Baldy Trail to experience the sweeping views (3.4-mi, 1000-ft elevation gain). Next, we’ll explore the underground world of Sequoia and Kings Canyon on a tour of Crystal Cave. A naturalist will lead us on a journey through this beautifully decorated cave of impressive chambers, magnificent formations, rare minerals, unique animals and a polished marble stream (1.5-mi).
- Day 3: Following breakfast and camp breakdown, we’ll visit the Giant Forest Museum and climb Moro Rock (1.2-mi). Before leaving the park, we’ll salute General Sherman, the world’s largest tree by volume. It stands 275-ft tall and is over 36-ft in diameter at the base.
Total: Approx. 10 miles
Schedule subject to change due to weather, camper ability/injury, natural events or park restrictions. Shoestring Warriors should be in good physical shape, but we will hike at an easy pace and take breaks as needed.
Meet Our Team
Trip Leader Heather currently works as a university Internship Coordinator and aspires to be a Life Coach, offering healing and rejuvenating outdoor activities to others. Heather has found that being in the outdoors provides people with an opportunity to slip away from the sounds of the city, exercise, release tension, gain clarity, find peace, and discover something new about yourself, among so many other things! One of her most meaningful trips was backpacking the John Muir Trail solo. She is so thankful to be a part of the Shoestring Adventures family and looks forward to getting to know you! LEARN MORE
Triptographer Stepfanie is an outdoor enthusiast, photographer, writer, and a lifelong learner. You can find her trying out a new craft or testing out how she can integrate things she enjoys. She loves connecting with adventurous and creative souls! LEARN MORE
Trip Level: Moderate
This adventure may challenge those who are not accustomed to much physical activity.
- Activity: 2-5 hours most days
- Distances: Hike up to 8 miles most days
- Trail Condition: flat or rolling terrain with some steep ascents/descents and uneven trails
- Elevation change: up to 2,000 ft/day
- Altitude: up to 6,000 ft
- Backpack Weight: Day packs only
Check out our upcoming schedule of community hikes to train with us! If you’re not sure if this trip is right for you, please feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss.
First Time Shoestring Warrior?
After registration, you will receive a Welcome Kit with a customized package list, introductions to your fellow campers, weather forecast and everything else you need to know to prepare for our trip.
Provided by Shoestring Adventures
- group first aid kit
- group cooking gear
- stoves and fuel
Required Gear (provided at no additional cost if you don’t have your own)
- sleeping bag (if borrowing, you must bring your own sleeping bag liner)
- sleeping pad
- headlamp and spare batteries
- tents (2 and 3-person tents will be shared with 1-2 other campers of the same gender)
- camp shoes
- insulating layer
- rain shell
- hiking pants or shorts
- hiking shirt
- hiking boots or shoes (broken in)
- hiking socks
- long underwear/pajamas
- bathing suit
Required Personal Items
- ID & health insurance card
- water bladder or bottles with minimum 3L capacity
- SPF chapstick and sunblock
- unscented baby wipes
- small towel
- comb/hair band
- bug repellant
- hand sanitizer
- prescription medications
- personal bathroom kit: toilet paper, ziplock bags, personal wipes, hand sanitizer
- camera and accessories
- trekking poles (highly recommended for balance and to help reduce strain on knees)
- small pillow
- small multi-tool
- camp chair
Transportation is not included. While you are responsible for getting to and from Shoestring Adventures locations, we will help coordinate carpools for Shoestring Warriors leaving from Los Angeles. Passengers are expected to contribute to their driver for gas and wear & tear.
Traveling from out of town? The closest airport is Fresno Yosemite International Airport—1.5 hours from the Sequoia park entrance. From the airport, you can rent a car to reach the park.
We will meet at 12pm on Saturday. We will leave Sequoia around noon on Monday, so you can plan your flight accordingly.
Typical summer climate in Sequoia National Park is warm to hot, with occasional rain (usually as afternoon thundershowers, especially at the higher elevations) with average daytime temperatures in the 80’s and nighttime temperatures in the 50’s.
Health & Safety
Supporting the health and safety of participants is among our top priorities. All Shoestring Adventures trip leaders hold Wilderness First Responder/CPR, Leave No Trace and Food Handling certifications. In remote destinations, we carry a DeLorme inReach Explorer Satellite Messenger to contact authorities in case of emergency.
We minimize risk by keeping groups together while hiking, encouraging everyone to drink water and apply sunscreen, and making sure we’re prepared with gear appropriate to weather and our activities.
- Transportation is not included.
- Alcoholic beverages
- Tips for trip leader and photographer
- Meal at local restaurant
- $35 park entrance fee
Registration and Payment
We don’t want finances to be a barrier to the outdoors. To request a custom payment plan, email email@example.com.
To protect your investment, we recommend that you purchase travel insurance.
Please read our FAQ for more information and our cancellation policy.
- Regular: $440
Ticket Section Title
Tickets are not available for sale any more for this event!