19 (Friday) 12:00 am - 21 (Sunday) 11:59 pm
Big Sur State Park
Experience 4 California parks — Pfeiffer Big Sur, Julia Pfeiffer Burns, Andrew Molera and Point Lobos State Natural Reserve — and get a taste of everything the
Experience 4 California parks — Pfeiffer Big Sur, Julia Pfeiffer Burns, Andrew Molera and Point Lobos State Natural Reserve — and get a taste of everything the Big Sur coast has to offer for the ultimate weekend road trip!
Explore ancient redwood groves, remote beaches and gushing waterfalls, enjoy back-to-back dinner parties at our cozy campsite, and fall asleep to the burble of the Big Sur River.
Join our supportive community of Shoestring Warriors and take back your weekend!
Highlights For This Adventure
- Get a taste of everything the Big Sur coast has to offer — redwood groves, remote beach access and bluff views
- Explore 3 California state parks — Pfeiffer Big Sur, Julia Pfeiffer Burns, Andrew Molera — and Point Lobos State Natural Reserve
- Take in the iconic view of 80-ft McWay Waterfall
Included With Every Shoestring Adventure
- Learn from our Wilderness First Responder/CPR certified trip leaders, no matter your level of experience
- Connect with our community of like-minded people through Meetups and happy hours
- Join our free Ambassador-led group hikes to train for your adventure
- Borrow gear at no cost if you don’t have your own
- Enjoy gourmet camp meals—everything tastes better outdoors
- Get professional photos to remember your adventure from our Triptographers
- Get your Shoestring Warrior Adventure Kit with curated souvenirs
- Leave the planning to us—permits and campground reservations included
Shoestring Adventures operates with special use permits. A portion of your ticket goes toward protecting and preserving these parks for future generations.
- Day 1: We’ll meet at our campground at 2pm for orientation, followed by a 2-mi hike on the Valley View Overlook Trail. Get to know your new friends over a hearty dinner, followed by a campfire-building lesson.
- Day 2: After coffee and breakfast, we’ll enjoy a 4-mi hike around Point Lobos State Natural Reserve, which offers a taste of everything the Big Sur coast has to offer — redwood groves, remote beach access and bluff views. After a picnic lunch, we will take in the iconic view of 80-foot McWay Waterfall, followed by a 1.5-mi hike to Partington Cove.
- Day 3: After breakfast and camp breakdown, we’ll take an easy 2-mi stroll through the understated Andrew Molera State Park. We’ll relax on the beach, enjoy a light picnic lunch, and dip our toes in the Pacific Ocean one last time before we depart.
Total: Approx. 10 miles
Schedule subject to change due to weather, camper ability/injury, natural events or park restrictions. Shoestring Warriors should be in good physical shape, but we will hike at an easy pace and take breaks as needed.
Meet the Team
Trip Leader Heather currently works as a university Internship Coordinator and aspires to be a Life Coach, offering healing and rejuvenating outdoor activities to others. Heather has found that being in the outdoors provides people with an opportunity to slip away from the sounds of the city, exercise, release tension, gain clarity, find peace, and discover something new about yourself, among so many other things! One of her most meaningful trips was backpacking the John Muir Trail solo. She is so thankful to be a part of the Shoestring Adventures family and looks forward to getting to know you! LEARN MORE
Triptographer Amanda is a freelance photographer of all sorts of things, who just moved back to the mountains of Colorado with her husband and dog, where she grew up with a deep appreciation for the outdoors and adventures. LEARN MORE
Trip Level: Easy
This adventure may challenge those who are not accustomed to much physical activity.
- Activity: 2-5 hours most days
- Distances: Hike up to 8 miles most days
- Trail Condition: flat or rolling terrain with some steep ascents/descents and uneven trails
- Elevation change: up to 2,000 ft/day
- Altitude: up to 6,000 ft
- Backpack Weight: Day packs only
Check out our upcoming schedule of community hikes to train with us! If you’re not sure if this trip is right for you, please feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss.
First Time Shoestring Warrior?
After registration, you will receive a Welcome Kit with a customized package list, introductions to your fellow campers, weather forecast and everything else you need to know to prepare for our trip.
Provided by Shoestring Adventures
- group first aid kit
- group cooking gear
- stoves and fuel
Required Gear (provided at no additional cost if you don’t have your own)
- sleeping bag
- sleeping pad
- sleeping bag liner (if you borrow a sleeping bag)
- headlamp and spare batteries
- tents (2 and 3-person tents will be shared with 1-2 other campers of the same gender)
- camp shoes
- insulating layer
- rain shell
- hiking pants or shorts
- hiking shirt
- hiking boots or shoes (broken in)
- hiking socks
- long underwear/pajamas
- bathing suit
Required Personal Items
- ID & health insurance card
- water bladder or bottles with minimum 3L capacity
- SPF chapstick and sunblock
- unscented baby wipes
- small towel
- comb/hair band
- bug repellant
- hand sanitizer
- prescription medications
- personal bathroom kit: toilet paper, ziplock bags, personal wipes, hand sanitizer
- camera and accessories
- trekking poles (highly recommended for balance and to help reduce strain on knees)
- small pillow
- small multi-tool
- camp chair
Transportation is not included. While you are responsible for getting to and from Shoestring Adventures locations, we will help coordinate carpools for Shoestring Warriors leaving from Los Angeles. Passengers are expected to contribute to their driver for gas and wear & tear.
Traveling from out of town? The closest airport is Monterey Airport—30 minutes from the Big Sur Valley. Most major airlines flying into San Jose and San Francisco International Airports have commuter flights to Monterey Airport.
If you plan to fly in the night before, you can find a place to stay on Airbnb. We will meet at 2pm on Day 1. We will leave Big Sur around noon on Day 3, so plan your flight accordingly.
Typical coastal climate in Big Sur during late spring includes daytime temperatures in the 60’s and 70’s, and nighttime temperatures in the 30’s and 40’s.
Health & Safety
Supporting the health and safety of participants is among our top priorities. All Shoestring Adventures trip leaders hold Wilderness First Responder/CPR, Leave No Trace and Food Handling certifications. In remote destinations, we carry a DeLorme inReach Explorer Satellite Messenger to contact authorities in case of emergency.
We minimize risk by keeping groups together while hiking, encouraging everyone to drink water and apply sunscreen, and making sure we’re prepared with gear appropriate to weather and our activities.
- Transportation is not included.
- Alcoholic beverages
- Tips for trip leader and photographer
- Meal at local restaurant
- Park entrance fees
Registration and Payment
We don’t want finances to be a barrier to the outdoors. To request a custom payment plan, email email@example.com.
To protect your investment, we recommend that you purchase travel insurance.
Please read our FAQ for more information and our cancellation policy.
- Early Bird: $440 (Ends 9/21)
- Regular: $485
Ticket Section Title
Tickets are not available for sale any more for this event!