Since the Shoestring Adventures community is made up of adventure-loving and awesome people, we thought it’d be fun to ask the Shoestring Family what their favorite gear is and then share it with all of you! We are hikers, climbers, backpackers, campers, trail runners, surfers, photographers, and all-around outdoorsy people, so you’re bound to find something you or your friends and loved ones will enjoy! Check out the Shoestring Family Holiday Gift Guide 2017 below!
Have fun shopping but don’t forget to #optoutside on Black Friday!
Gear That’s Keeping Us Cozy
- Patagonia Down Sweater Hoodie: Since I invested in this jacket a couple of years ago, it has become a staple for just about everything, from backpacking in Yosemite to road tripping through Spain to spending a night on the town. As someone who is always cold, I know I can depend on this jacket to keep me warm for many years to come. Alyx Schwarz, Founder
- Outdoor Research Deviator Hoodie: Not only is this hoodie super comfy, it also keeps your core warm, and has really good breathability in the pits, arms and back. Perfect for being active in colder weather! Shani Leead, Triptographer + Social Media/Content Manager
- Enlightened Equipment Revelation: Light weight quilt. My 30 rev is about 1lb! Keeps me warm and compresses down to the size of a soft ball. Ari Keith, Ambassador
Campsite Essentials We Love
- Stansport 2 Burner Propane Stove: Best way to take your food game to the next level when you’re in the cuts camping out of your rig. It’s sturdy, simple, easy to set-up/take-down, practical, compact, and affordable. Canyon Grove, Trip Leader
- Benchmade Griptillian Knife: The Benchmade Griptilian is a great everyday carry knife for all uses whether you’re out in the woods or in the city. Coming in a variety of sizes and with a wide array of other customization options, the Griptilian is hands down the last knife you’ll ever need to buy. I use mine every single day, and I think you will too! They make thoughtful gifts as they are high quality and well made. Graham Williams, Trip Leader
- REI Co-op Flexlite Chair: This chair is super compact and comes with a stuff sack and fits easily into a backpack! It’s great for camping, picnics, concerts, and any other adventure or event that you think you’d like a chair for. Yosefa Gilon, Blog Editor
- GSI Outdoors Infinity Backpacker Mug: Nice insulated mug that’s lightweight and won’t break the bank either. Ari Keith, Ambassador
- Yeti Tundra 45 Cooler: I know, I know, everybody has heard about Yeti coolers and how expensive they are. I finally made the plunge and bought one, and haven’t ever looked back. Yeti coolers keep your items colder, longer, and wrap them up in a tough and unbreakable package. They even claim their coolers are bearproof. Although they’re expensive initially, it’s going to be the last cooler you ever buy, because they’re made to withstand everything from tailgating to being thrown around in the wilderness. Graham Williams, Trip Leader
Packs We Adventure With
- Mountainsmith Spectrum Camera Backpack: Very lightweight, and comfortable frame and strap padding. The inside is lined with a bright yellow fabric which makes it easier to locate the items inside of it. Shani Leead, Triptographer + Social Media/Content Manager
- Ultimate Direction Groove Stereo Belt: Super light and comfortable hiking/running belt. Has plenty of pockets for phone, ID, keys, snacks and 2 water bottle holders. Ari Keith, Ambassador
- Nathan Fireball Hydration Vest – 2 Liters: It’s the most comfortable backpack/vest I’ve ever worn! I’ve worn it hiking and trail running! The bottle pockets in the front are great and there’s a bladder pocket in the back to hold more water. It doesn’t shift when running and the pack is big enough (but not too big) to put everything needed for a long trail run/race. Yosefa Gilon, Blog Editor
- Platypus Big Zip LP Reservoir – 3 Liters: Best bladder I’ve ever owned – hands down. Canyon Grove, Trip Leader
Gadgets We’re Loving
- Peak Design Capture Kit Camera Adapter: The Capture Clip holds your camera on the shoulder strap of your backpack, so you can adventure hands-free. The quick-release button allows you to have easy access to your camera, so you never miss a shot. Alyx Schwarz, Founder
- Bellroy Notebook Cover: Bellroy is an Australian leather goods company known for making exceptional wallets and travel notebooks. The “Notebook Cover Mini” is what I carry my passport, national parks pass, notebook, and other important documents when I’m leading a trip or traveling out on my own. Bellroy also makes great weatherproof models as well. Graham Williams, Trip Leader
- Third Eye Headlamps TE14 Headlamp: For me, getting my first headlamp felt like a right of passage into the outdoors. Why not look cool too? Third Eye Headlamps believes that technical gear doesn’t have to look “technical,” it can be beautiful and artful too. The headbands are interchangeable with other fun artist designs. Alyx Schwarz, Founder
This post contains affiliate links for products that we love. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, we make a small commission, which helps keep this website running at no cost to you. All words and opinions are our own. Thank you for supporting Shoestring Adventures with your purchase!
Join the Shoestring Adventures Club!
Join us today to receive exclusive perks and to take your adventures to the next level! Members will receive access to our private Facebook group, early-registration for events and special discounts.
Sign up today!