Over the past two years, I have met some amazing adventurers who share my passion for the outdoors. Recently, I decided to join a larger outdoor community and start a Meetup called Shoestring Adventures LA.
For the inaugural Meetup, I organized a hike to the Bridge to Nowhere, a 120-ft arch bridge, constructed in 1936 over the East Fork of the San Gabriel River. The bridge was meant to connect a passage between the San Gabriel Valley and Wrightwood, until 1938, when a massive flood destroyed the road. The abandoned bridge remains and has become a local treasure for SoCal hikers and bungee jumpers.
Twelve weekend warriors joined me for the first official Shoestring Adventures LA Meetup. We began to hike around 8:30AM.
I really enjoyed meeting everyone who joined the hike. We had a natural leader who guided us over the river crossings and a fearless puppy mascot who kept our spirits high. No one complained about going off the beaten path or hiking barefoot down the river.
By the time we reached the bridge, we were ready for lunch. We found a sunny spot by the river to refuel and bask like lizards.
We continued our hike down the river.
After the hike, a few of us met up at Congregation Ale House in Asuza for burgers and beers. Rewarding ourselves with a satisfying meal felt like the perfect end to a challenging day hike.
Special thanks to the Weekend Warriors who attended the inaugural Shoestring Adventures LA Meetup. I enjoyed meeting each of you, and I hope to share another adventure with you soon!
If you are interested in joining Shoestring Adventures LA, please join us at Meetup.com!
Bridge to Nowhere Trail
- Trailhead Parking: You must purchase an adventure pass to park at the trail head. Click here for locations. This is a popular hiking destination, so arrive early for premium parking.
- Road Trip: About 1 hour from downtown Los Angeles
- Trail Distance: 10-mi round trip; 900 feet elevation gain
- Fitness Level: Intermediate
- What to Bring: Bring lots of water (more than 2 liters). Wear hiking shoes, but bring water shoes and a towel for river crossings. In the summer months, bring a bathing suit to swim.
- Source: Go to Hikespeak.com for trail directions.
Get Directions[mappress mapid=”29″]
Join the Shoestring Adventures Club!
Join us today to receive exclusive perks and to take your adventures to the next level! Members will receive access to our private Facebook group, early-registration for events and special discounts.
Sign up today!